Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grand Prize White Chicken Chili

Not mine : ( But that's okay... A good recipe is a good recipe that needs to be passed on.
I am a huge Rachel Ray fan ( which I've yet to find in the blogosphere, but I digress...). Sometime back in March, she had a contest for the best "game day" recipe. The two final recipes were a white chicken chili and a bbq chicken bacon ranch pizza.

I made the pizza right away and loved it. Yesterday, I had leftover chicken from a roast chicken and a quick check in my pantry confirmed that I had the rest of the ingredients.

As you'll see, it's a very simple, hearty, filling recipe. My husband couldn't get enough, and even my little one liked the "taco soup.". ( with the beans picked out of course! Little did she know I smashed some in there!). As for me... I did like it.... However, I felt like it was missing something... I added some jalapenos to mine, which really kicked it up. If I wasn't the only one in my family who loves spicy, I would probably toss some in there to simmer along with everything else.. Some cilantro would have been perfect with this, unfortunately I had none on hand.

I will definitely be making this again ( and again ) it satisfies my mexican craving and i can't wait to try experiment with it some more. Next time, I might use ground chicken or turkey, maybe a tad of crushed red pepper flakes, to bring out a little more flavor.

I served it in soup bowls with a dollop of sour cream, a drizzle of taco sauce, a tortilla chip, and some jalepenos (on mine anyway)... I'm posting the recipe below. I think it's a great way to use up leftover chicken and a great dinner for those "no time to cook". I'm sure it would freeze well, if it lasts that long : )
Ingredients:
1 32 oz. box chicken stock
3 cans cans white beans*, left undrained
5 cups cooked chicken (rotisserie or boiled)
1 16 oz. jar salsa**
8 oz. pepper jack cheese, grated
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
Black or white pepper to taste
1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips (optional if you like thicker chili)
Sour cream for garnish
yields: 6 servings


Preparation
Place all ingredients (except corn chips) in a crockpot on high until cheese is melted.
May also do on stovetop over medium heat.
When the chili is ready, add crushed corn chips, if using and simmer ten more minutes to thicken.
garnish with more chips, cheese, and/or sour cream and enjoy!!
* I used cannelini beans and only two cans (personal preference) next time, I may puree the third can and add it to also help thicken.
* I pureed my salsa before adding
*I used tostitos baked whole grain tortilla chips

2 comments:

  1. Yum, this sounds mighty tasty! I would definitely add some heat...and cilantro...mmmmmm. I'm sure Rachael is out here somewhere.... :D

    Oh, do you want to add this to my chile pepper roundup (thanks to that yummy jalepeno addition!?) You'll be linked to in the roundup and be entered 5x to win prizes. Just email me a link w/ the photo attached)?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds and looks good. But so does the pizza!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate all comments. They make me all warm and fuzzy : ) If you like what you see, feel free to follow. I'd love more friends!