Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My first Homemade cake part 2



Okay, so I'm new to this whole blogging thing and i had to break my blog up into two separate posts because i couldn't get my pictures the way I wanted, and it seemed like i ran of room. If anyone other than family actually reads this, I'm way open to constructive criticism :)

Back to my cake... Yes! The layers baked absolutely perfect. As my "smittenkitchen" mentor suggested, I wrapped the layers separately and froze them over nite (Actually she said only about 20 min, but I had to get to work, and NO WAY was I leaving an assembled cake unprotected with my husband around...)


Freezing the layers made them so much easier to frost. Of course that counted for exactly zero because I had to fight to keep 30 fingers out of the bowl that it was in. I can't blame them though, this peanut butter cream cheese frosting really should be illegal. It was that good! Thanks to my fab new birthday stand mixer, the frosting whipped up in a snap. I don't even want to think about trying to plough through the cream cheese, peanut butter, and sugar with that lil thing.

I frosted in between and stacked (Yep, i stacked!) the layers and frosted all over. Then I made the chocolate peanut butter glaze to pour over. Sorry to say, i have no pictures of that process.... the chocolate and peanut butter weren't getting along at first....But I held my ground... I just told it (yes, out loud ) "Hey, I've got two little girls, five & seven. I'm not frightened of a little glaze not wanting to cooperate."
It listened... i didn't get quite the beautiful "drip" effect i was looking for. Probably because I didn't have an offset spatula, but I was happy.



There it is!!! My first homemade triple layer cake. ( I LOVE being able to say that!) That's the birthday boy, with his little ladies : ) Everyone raved about it.... So this definitely wont be my last cake adventure. I'm going to try more Sky High recipes, and others from you fellow bloggers... I was so proud of myself, but I know I need more work on the presentation of it, I'm sure it will be fun......

3 comments:

  1. Baby I just want to let you know how lucky and proud I am to have a wonderful wife like you! I love you and so does my belly!!!!!!!This cake was truly the best tasting cake I have ever eaten and I and extremely excited and eager to try the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is so supportive and encouraging. That's what it's all about it, isn't it?

    Go get this cookbook, (I got mine from Amazon) you won't be disappointed. There are so many lovely recipes in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are off to a fabulous start!!! I love that you divided this up into two posts (you're that much farther on your blogging journey now), LOL! I'm glad you emailed me, I will sit down in a little bit and write back to you...as soon as I go run my fun errands (renew license plates, pay bills..the fun stuff). Keep up the good work...it's looking mighty tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate all comments. They make me all warm and fuzzy : ) If you like what you see, feel free to follow. I'd love more friends!